Assisting Compliance Officers & General Counsel
As a corporate compliance officer or in-house general counsel, you need to make informed decisions based on reliable information. We offer a comprehensive suite of corporate investigation services that we can custom-tailor to any need and any set of circumstances.
If your job is to help protect your company, you cannot afford to make assumptions, and you cannot afford to make decisions based on incomplete information. You need to know everything you need to know, without any caveats or exceptions.
Of course, as you well know, this is easier said than done. Not only are there limits on what you can do to obtain information from outside sources, but even gathering information internally often proves challenging as well. In many cases, simply knowing where to look is the first challenge that needs to be addressed, and then there is the question of whether you have uncovered everything—or whether there is still more to be found.
Under other circumstances, this uncertainty could be paralyzing. However, as a corporate compliance officer or in-house general counsel, you have a job to do, and there are decisions you need to make. You cannot stand idle, and you cannot simply go to your company’s leadership team with an answer of, “I don’t know.”
We Provide Compliance Officers and General Counsel with the Information They Need to Make Sound Decisions
This is particularly true in times of corporate crisis. As a compliance officer, you need to be able to state definitively whether your company’s compliance efforts will withstand scrutiny. If a compliance issue has arisen, you need to know how and why your protocols and procedures failed. As general counsel, you need to be able to advise your company’s leaders regarding whether legal action is necessary; or, depending on the circumstances involved, whether your company could be at risk in impending litigation.
At Corporate Investigation Consulting, we work with compliance officers and general counsel to help them gather the intelligence they need to make sound decisions in times of crisis. From compliance concerns to employee allegations, and from cybersecurity breaches to threats to the company’s IP, we take a comprehensive, efficient, and custom-tailored approach to helping compliance officers and general counsel do their jobs effectively. We provide corporate investigative services to assist with the resolution of matters including:
- State and Federal Compliance – As former investigative agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and other agencies, we are intimately familiar with companies’ compliance obligations at the state and federal levels. This includes general compliance obligations under laws such as the Securities and Exchange Act and the Federal Trade Commission Act, as well as industry-specific compliance obligations that apply to financial institutions, health care providers, and other entities. If you need to know whether your company is in compliance, we can help you gather the information you need in order to reach an informed conclusion.
- Contract Compliance – Whether your company is being accused of breaching a contract or you need to assess your company’s legal options in the face of an apparent third-party breach, we can investigate internally or externally in order to collect the information you need to know. Is a licensee making unauthorized use of your company’s IP? Do you need to pursue legal action against a subcontractor or vendor in order to uphold your company’s obligations to its customers? Has an employee made a mistake that has created contractual liability exposure? These are just a few examples of the types of critical questions we can help you answer.
- Cybersecurity Matters – Much of our work is focused in the area of cybersecurity. We assist compliance officers and general counsel with assessing the sufficiency of their current cybersecurity compliance efforts, and we assist with analyzing cybersecurity breaches as well. This encompasses all aspects of breach response, from identifying the source of the intrusion to determining what data were compromised and evaluating what is required in response.
- IP Matters – Intellectual property (IP) matters often require a swift and targeted response. This is true whether a third party is making unauthorized use of your company’s IP, or your company is being accused of infringement or misappropriation. We investigate infringement and misappropriation claims from both sides, and we have experience with counterfeiting, trade secret theft, and other IP-related matters as well.
- National Security – With backgrounds as senior federal agents, our corporate investigators offer particular experience in the national security field. We help companies investigate all types of issues involving national security implications, from cyber intrusions and physical misappropriation of sensitive assets to matters involving the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the National Security Agency (NSA), and other federal authorities. For compliance officers, we assist with identifying areas of the business that give rise to national security implications and assessing national security compliance needs as well.
- Employee Complaints and Disputes – We regularly assist in-house legal departments with investigating employee complaints and conducting investigations in connection with employment-related disputes. As you likely well know, all employee complaints must be taken seriously, and companies must promptly and comprehensively assess their litigation risk as well as whether (and to what extent) any modifications to their employment policies and procedures may be necessary.
- External Litigation Threats – We assist general counsel with assessing other types of external litigation threats as well. This includes everything from business tort allegations to antitrust and securities law enforcement matters. If your company is facing the prospect of litigation, you need to have a clear and comprehensive picture of all of the pertinent facts, and we can use our experience and resources to help you make informed and timely decisions.
With a team that includes several former high-ranking federal investigative agents, we offer deep subject-matter knowledge in a broad range of areas. Among other matters, we have experience conducting corporate investigations pertaining to compliance and litigation risks in the areas of:
- Civil litigation
- Commercial litigation
- Contractual matters
- Fraud and corruption
- Intellectual property
- National security
- Shareholder and corporate matters
- Workplace misconduct
FAQs: Engaging an Outside Corporate Investigation Company
Q: What are the advantages to hiring a corporate investigation company?
As compared to attempting to handle an investigation internally, there are several advantages to hiring a corporate investigation company. The first is the ability to rely on the capabilities of the company’s personnel. Conducting an effective investigation requires a unique skillset derived from years of practical experience, and most corporations simply do not have individuals with these capabilities in-house.
Engaging an outside company also allows your company’s personnel to remain focused on their ordinary job duties, and it gives you 24/7 access to the company’s investigators.
Q: What factors should you consider when choosing a corporate investigation company?
When choosing a corporate investigation company, relevant experience is perhaps the single most-important factor. From the investigative techniques required to the substantive issues involved, not all corporate investigation companies will be suitably equipped for all corporate investigations.
Accessibility is an important factor as well. If you need immediate assistance, you need to know that the company you choose is prepared to take action at a moment’s notice.
Q: How quickly can Corporate Investigation Consulting get to work for my company?
When you choose Corporate Investigation Consulting, our former high-ranking federal agents can get to work right away. We can begin consulting with you over the phone immediately, and we can have personnel on the ground at any location nationwide within 24 hours. When an investigation is necessary, time is frequently of the essence. If you cannot afford to wait, you can rely on us to meet the demands of the circumstances at hand.
Q: Can Corporate Investigation Consulting assist with discovery if necessary?
Yes, in addition to conducting investigations for purposes of assessing compliance and in anticipation of litigation, we assist with all aspects of discovery as well. If the matter that we investigate for your company leads to litigation, we can remain involved and continue to provide assistance as needed. We are experienced in physical document collection and e-discovery, as well as conducting interviews, evaluating deposition testimony, and other discovery-related matters.
Q: What else should I know about Corporate Investigation Consulting?
In addition to our investigative services, we also provide assistance with compliance and federal enforcement matters. Our former senior federal agents also serve as consultants to in-house compliance and legal departments. In addition to the areas listed above, we also offer subject-matter knowledge in the areas of risk management, workplace safety, government audits and investigations, FCPA compliance, criminal defense, and anti-money laundering (AML) compliance. For more information about how we work collaboratively with corporations of all sizes on an ongoing basis, contact us today.
Discuss Your Needs with a Former Senior Federal Agent at Corporate Investigation Consulting
If you would like to speak with one of our former senior federal agents about your company’s investigative needs, we invite you to get in touch. To learn more about our services, please call 866-352-9324 or tell us how we can help online today.