Our Experts and Consultants Bring Decades of Government Experience to Advising Companies on All Aspects of Digital Forensics
Digital forensics play an essential role in many aspects of doing business in the 21st Century. From fending off and responding to cybersecurity breaches to conducting e-discovery and defending against federal criminal allegations, companies of all sizes need to rely on digital forensics for a multitude of different reasons.
At Corporate Investigation Consulting, we assist companies nationwide with all aspects of digital forensics. We help our clients gather, organize, and analyze essential data, and we help them make strategic decisions based on the information at hand. We provide security evaluation, risk management, litigation support, emergency response, and other related services as well, affording our clients the full benefit of our former federal agents’ decades of expertise.
Our Digital Forensics Services
Our digital forensics services afford companies the opportunity to gather the information they need when they need it. We serve our clients in a broad range of scenarios, including:
- Actual and threatened cybersecurity breaches
- Background investigations
- Compliance management
- Corporate theft
- Due diligence
- Electronic discovery (e-discovery)
- Employment-related issues and disputes
- Government investigations
- Trade secret and other intellectual property (IP) theft
- Investigations related to potential or threatened litigation
Regardless of your company’s needs, at Corporate Investigation Consulting we can deploy our personnel and resources – on an emergency basis if necessary – to meet the demands of any situation. We can work with your company’s personnel both remotely and on-site, and we can assist with all aspects and all phases of breach response, litigation, investigations, and other matters.
Digital Forensics Services for Internal Investigations, External Investigations, and Litigation
We provide digital forensics services for gathering data from corporate and third-party assets of all types. From securely accessing and storing sensitive data to assessing the compliance, risk, and other legal implications of the various scenarios listed above, we provide access to the insights and data our clients need through digital forensics services including:
- Computer Forensics – We have in-depth expertise in all aspects of computer forensics, and our former federal agents rely on state-of-the art digital forensics tools and technologies to efficiently and securely gather, organize, store, and analyze the data our clients need.
- Cell Phone and Mobile Device Forensics – We also have extensive experience in cell phone and mobile device forensics, and we work on behalf of our clients to gather crucial data from both company-owned devices and third-party devices through the discovery process.
- Automotive Data Forensics – Modern vehicles store enormous amounts of data, and the volume of vehicle-generated data is only going to continue to grow in the future. We help our clients gather data in defense of litigation from vehicle “black boxes” and other onboard computer and self-driving systems.
- Audiovisual Forensics – Audiovisual forensics is another area that is continuing to take on heightened importance as technologies change and become more readily available. We provide the full gamut of audiovisual forensic services, from identifying the sources of recordings to determining whether purported recordings have been digitally manufactured or altered.
- Forensic Accounting – We provide forensic accounting services as well, and many of our former federal agents have significant prior experience in the area of forensic accounting and financial compliance from their time with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and other agencies.
Digital Forensics for E-Discovery and Litigation Support
In many cases, the need for digital forensics services arises in connection with litigation—whether civil litigation between private parties or enforcement litigation arising out of a government investigation. At Corporate Investigation Consulting, we have particular experience providing digital forensic services within the context of e-discovery, and we regularly provide litigation support services to our clients as well. In addition to gathering critical information from both internal and external sources, our former federal agents are able to serve as expert witnesses as well, and we provide additional support services ranging from overseeing counterparties’ digital forensics efforts to using gathered data to develop litigation strategies and demonstrate corporate compliance.
Our Areas of Knowledge
At Corporate Investigation Consulting, we bring deep insights, strategic decision-making, and practical solutions to assisting our clients with their digital forensics needs. Our former federal agents rely on decades of high-level experience, and our areas of knowledge include (but are not limited to):
- State and federal data security laws and regulations
- State and federal rules of evidence
- System and application security vulnerabilities
- Encryption algorithms and decryption techniques
- All major operating systems and system architectures
- Processes for collecting, storing, and transporting secure physical and digital assets
- Processes for maintaining the chain of custody of physical and digital assets
- Anti-forensics tactics, techniques, and procedures
- Subject-matter knowledge in cybersecurity, employment, IP, acquisitions, and other areas
Digital forensics is a practice that requires in-depth knowledge. It is also a practice in which the standards, rules, and benchmarks are constantly changing. At Corporate Investigation Consulting, we remain fully up-to-date with the latest developments in digital forensics, and we work diligently to ensure that our clients are able to efficiently gather the information they need while also strategically positioning themselves for success in any related or subsequent legal proceedings.
FAQs: Utilizing Data Forensics to Gain a Strategic Advantage
Q: When should your company engage an outside firm for digital forensics?
There are several circumstances in which it will be necessary to engage an outside firm for digital forensics. These circumstances range from actual and suspected data security breaches to instances of employee theft, and from civil lawsuits to federal criminal law enforcement investigations. At Corporate Investigation Consulting, we assist companies with all of the above, and we do so in reliance on decades of legal and investigative experience.
Q: Can (and should) a company’s in-house legal department oversee digital forensics efforts?
The answer to this question depends on the in-house legal department’s specific capabilities. If the lawyers in the department are skilled in e-discovery, litigation strategy, and litigation practice, then it might make sense for the department to handle oversight in-house (assuming its lawyers have the bandwidth to do so). In many cases, however, it will make the most sense to engage an outside law firm to work in collaboration with the digital forensics company.
Q: What are some important risks to consider when conducting digital forensics?
When conducting digital forensics, two of the main risks that require consideration are: (i) the risk of failing to maintain adequate data security, and (ii) the risk of making mistakes that could lead to trouble in subsequent litigation proceedings.
At Corporate Investigation Consulting, we prioritize both of these considerations, and we rely on structured systems, reliable methodologies, and state-of-the-art technology to ensure that our clients’ data are secure. We do this in all matters, regardless of the circumstances involved, and we tailor the scope of our efforts to the circumstances presented in order to ensure adequate protection while also ensuring that we are serving our clients as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Q: What should you look for in a digital forensics firm?
When choosing a digital forensics firm, there are several factors that you will want to consider. Three of the main factors are:
- Experience of the Firm’s Personnel – Digital forensics matters require in-depth knowledge of numerous issues, and it is essential to choose a firm with personnel who have the knowledge required to hit the ground running and begin serving your company’s needs immediately.
- State-of-the-Art Technology – Conducting digital forensics requires state-of-the-art technology, both for purposes of gathering necessary data and for purposes of analyzing and sharing the data in a secure environment.
- Comprehensive Service Platform – When your company needs digital forensics services, it will generally need other related services as well. Choosing a firm that offers a comprehensive service platform will promote efficiency and help keep your company’s costs down.
Q: Does Corporate Investigation Consulting provide digital forensics services nationwide?
Yes. At Corporate Investigation Consulting, we provide all of our services to companies on a nationwide scale. Our former federal agents can be on-site at any location across the country in a matter of hours when necessary, and we work with our clients both on-site and remotely on our clients’ schedules.
Learn More about Our Digital Forensics Services
If you would like more information about Corporate Investigation Consulting’ digital forensics services, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of our former senior federal agents. Call 866-352-9324 nationwide 24/7, or send us your contact information and we will be in touch promptly.